The Truth About My Foot Fetish

Earlier this year I was asked about my sewing habits and if I liked to sew with lots of accessory feet. I answered honestly (or so I thought) that I didn't like to sew with a lot of feet, but rather that I preferred to sew with as few accessory feet as possible. Little did I know that I was in denial! Read on to see how I discovered the secret of my foot fetish!

I started sewing with this totally bitchin' vintage ashtray next to my machine to help hold all the "stuff" that I use while I am working on a project. It works fabulously, and makes clean up easier when I finish a project - I just have to put everything in the tray back in it's place!


This weekend I started sewing on that Oliver+S Tea Party Sundress, a simple toddler dress with matching panties. Oh my gosh! Look at how many accessory feet I used for this one simple pattern!


That's FIVE different feet in there! So, I have to admit it to myself, I really do love feet! I didn't NEED to use so many sewing machine feet, and you might be asking why right about now, so here's what I used:


I used the plain jane foot for stitching seams, the Patchwork Foot for 1/4" seams, the Overlock Foot for finishing seams, the Edgestitch Foot for topstitching, and the Buttonhole Foot for, yes, buttonholes. So what about you - do you have a foot fetish like me, or do you sew with just a few staple accessory feet?
And I do have to admit that I have 2 favorite accessory feet; the Ruffler and the Walking foot! Do you also have a favorite?

Comments

Aacck! I don't even know what all those feet are. I've yet to take the one that came on my machine off and try a different one . . . too chicken.
Debbie Cook said…
That is but a mere fraction of the feet I have!! I've made it my mission in life to own every Viking foot made for my D1, I've got nearly every vintage Singer foot for my vintage Singers, and I'm well on my way for my newly-acquired vintage Viking 6010. So, you have a long way to go .... muahahahaha! But in my defense, I do actually use all of the D1 feet, and a good number of the others.
Kimberly said…
Lately my favourite is the ditch stitching foot (makes stitching in the ditch a breeze).
Susan said…
You know I love my vintage feet! Every week I write those tutorials on how to use them. And as I've learned more about them myself, I use them much more often. They're so helpful and real timesavers. I can't possibly pick a favorite.
Karin said…
Love your ashtray-as-storage-tray. I use a lot of feet too. I often wish I had a foot that did an eighth of an inch like the quarter inch quilting foot.
LollyChops said…
Wow... I can honestly say that I have never used anything other than the foot my machine came with and the button holer. That's about it. What am I missing out on???????
Mickey said…
I love using different feet. The top-stitching foot and the 1/4" foot are two of my favorites. I use the manual buttonhole foot for gathering. Feet and accessories are fun, fun, fun!!!

Erika's Top Trending Posts: