Vintage Quilt Finish

I forgot to share this project with you! This project was an interesting collaboration between me and an unknown maker.

I picked up this unfinished quilt top several years ago. One large piece of the top was completed by the original quilt maker, but there were also a few rows of the triangles pieced together as well. There were also several pre-cut triangles in the bag, and the original cardboard template!

The fabrics in this quilt are an interesting mix of re-purposed fabrics. Some of the fabrics are thin and close to threadbare, possibly from items of worn out clothing. Some are thick, rough, large weave fabrics possibly left over from an upholstery project. All of these various fabrics together almost clash, and my kiddo Fidget took one look at it and said, "Oh, that's so ugly!" 


Last year I finally got inspired to finish up the quilt top. I left the large piece completed by the original maker and finished sewing together an additional section using the strips and spare patchwork triangles. I added a rainbow of solid colored fabric strips between the two sections of patchwork to make the quilt larger. The finished quilt is about a full-sized bed quilt.


Sir Issac and Bea Arthur immediately loved this quilt, like I could hardly keep them off of it through the entire process.


The patchwork was kind of wonky, so I chose simple straight lines across the quilt in line with some of the angles.


I don't normally create large quilts, so getting this quilt through the machine was a challenge. I also took several weeks to finish the quilting.


The backing is a few larger pieces of random fabrics, and I happened to have some vintage cheater patchwork fabric that worked perfectly for the binding.


I do love all the various, funky fabrics in this quilt, and I do love that I was able to finish it for the original maker who never got the chance. But I do also see where Fidget, or others, might find this an ugly quilt.







I'm glad I finally finished this quilt, even though it took me several years. Especially since the original maker started making this, well, probably when I was in grade school! ;)

Comments

Erika's Top Trending Posts: