Packing for a Weekend Getaway

This weekend is our Chicago Modern Quilt Guild's fall retreat! I'm really looking forward to the time away - time to visit with friends and get away from my busy daily routine. I've decided to pack light this time (don't take that literally, I mean to bring two sewing machines - one of which weighs about 40 pounds) and not to expect too much of myself in the way of finishing projects.


I do mean to make a finished top out of these, just because they have been floating around my sewing room for a few years. And I got them handed down from another sewer who probably had them floating around in her sewing room for oh, I don't know, possibly 25-30 years! They are 5" pre-cut Polynesian prints, about 100 of them. I'm stitching them into half-square triangles with a solid, and they will create a small top about 56ish by 56ish inches square. This should be a quick project, don't you think?


These are stacks of 3" square vintage fabrics, I plan on playing around with these in a kind of 9-patch block. No expectations other than playing around!


Okay, so these colors aren't transmitting true over the internets, but believe me - this is a very orangy-brown 1960's vintage wool, and it just might become one of these.


I just got a copy of this, I've pre-cut some squares of batting scraps and muslin, and hope to find a little time to just sit and free-motion quilt. I'm not a beginner, but I have a tendency to over-quilt when I'm free-motioning. So, a little practice will be good for me!

Other than those projects, I'm really looking forward to catching up with some friends, experiencing some extra peace and quiet, and totally sleeping late! I can't wait for the weekend!

Comments

Erika's Top Trending Posts: