1995 BERNINA 1080

 

Meet my little 1995 BERNINA 1080. This certainly isn't my first-ever sewing machine, but it was the first BERNINA machine I ever purchased! It's hard to believe this little guy is now officially vintage, which means I've had it for a long time.

I bought this machine back when I was in art school. I was doing so much sewing that I literally burned-up a basic sewing machine, and knew that I needed something heavy duty to help me finish out my Fiber Arts degree. We had a couple of older BERNINA machines in the Fiber Arts classroom, and our professor M. Joan Lintault said they were the ONLY machines that could take the repeated beating from students (she also told me that BERNINA headquarters was near my parent's home in Chicagoland and that I should go work there 😉).

The closest BERNINA store was about a 45-minute drive, so I visited Chuck's Calico Country (original location now closed, but there are a few other Calico Country stores still out there) and got a great deal on a floor model 1080. This machine was made to be portable, featuring a large retractable handle on the top, a nice accessory box that snaps on the rear of the free-arm, and an option slide-on table (pictured). The original control pedal is larger than today's pedals, and features a retractable power cord. I sometimes wish they still made foot controls like these!

At the time this machine was like a luxury for me, it is smooth and extremely quiet, and has a nice selection of decorative and utility stitches built-in. Computerized technology adds awesome features like needle up/down, and the stitches are absolutely precise. I had to put the machine on lay-away (again, showing my age here) and make payments for several months, but it was definitely worth it. I sewed through all kinds of crazy stuff with this machine, from several layers of vinyl to tin foil and super thick army-surplus canvas - all without a hiccup from the machine.

When I did actually get a job working for BERNINA corporate headquarters in 2005, I was able to pick up a lot of extra feet and accessories for this model because BERNINA changed the design of the feet with the new generation of machines. I also went on to purchase a BERNINA 440 QE, have been lucky enough to sew with many different models (like the 350 PE, 590, 790, 770), and recently purchased a 570 QE.

The 1080 machines are getting harder to find as there aren't any replacement parts when the computer components go bad, which can happen with the age of the machines. I still use my 1080 occasionally for sewing crafts or garments, and am still amazed at how smooth and quiet this little guy sews. I'll never get rid of it!

Tell me, do you have a sewing machine that's so special that you'll never give it up? 🤔

Comments

Annette Zehring said…
I have a Bernina 807 which I must have bought in 1975 or 76. I had a friend who majored in clothing design and referred to her Bernina as her insurance policy. She praised its metal parts and Swiss engineering. I had a 'Golden Touch and Sew'--which wasn't golden and rarely sewed--so I ordered this little Bernina. I've made quilts, trench coats, men's blazers, and baby clothes with it, and my current hope is that it outlives me. It's a treasure.
Erika Mulvenna said…
That's awesome Anette! That is a great little machine. This BERNINA 1080 totally saved my butt many times. Cheers! - Erika
andie said…
I have 2 1080 Berninas, love them and won't give them up! No crazy computer to learn, you just sit down and sew. I also have a Pfaff and a Featherweight but my 1080's are my go to machines!!
Raven Sanchez said…
Just found two Bernina 1080s for $30 a piece at Goodwill! It's definitely my lucky day 😍
Doing some research today and gonna dive right in. Me and my friend are working on a handmade clothing store and this truly was a blessing.
Erika Mulvenna said…
Hey Raven what an awesome find! Definitely your lucky day, enjoy the 1080 machines, they are really nice. Cheers!
K French said…
I have a Bernina 1030. It's a great go to machine. I have had no regrets buying it. It got me thru 2 years of college sewing projects. I didn't want computerized and I am not into embroidery so this machine was my choice. No regrets. i wished they still offered it without having to drop down to a bernette. The 10 series mechanical was the best, especially is you just want a basic solid machine. Said they no longer offer that type of machine. Alot of people are not looking for computerized with all the fancy pantsy things so they will find another brand that will have something more basic without all the computer stuff.
bsurrounded said…
I purchased my 1080 in 1994 or 1995, upgraded from 1000 I believe. I absolutely love it. It is so smooth and stitches perfectly. I've been tempted by some of the quilting or embroidery machines over the years, but mine still works and looks like new, so why? I couldn't love it more.
I have a Bernina 1090 which is very similar to your 1080. I also have a Bernina 1008 which is completely mechanical. It does not, alas have the needle-down option or the kneelift that the 1090 did. But I'm sure it will still be stitching long after the the computer board on the 1090 dies.
Erika Mulvenna said…
Hi @Catholic Bibliophagist, thanks for reading my blog! The 1008 is also a great machine. Yes, I will be crying a river when the motherboard dies in my 1080, she is such a good little machine.

Erika's Top Trending Posts: