Monday, February 8, 2010
Superbowl Sunday Sewing
I had lots of time to sew Sunday afternoon before the game! So I finally got to make some of these green re-usable Swiffer Covers. I found this project posted at CraftGossip.com from Amber at Berlin's Whimsy a few weeks ago, and have been waiting for some free sewing time to whip some of them up.
I followed Amber's tutorial for my first sweeper cover, she uses two layers of toweling to make the cover reversible and a button closure to keep it on the sweeper. It looked great - this is an easy tutorial and the pattern was perfect! Oh, but then I got some ideas of my own!
I decided to use one layer of toweling backed with a cotton print instead of two layers. And since I was using bright prints, I sewed a little bit to show on the top of the cover. I also rounded off the edges a bit (I used a salad plate and traced the curve on the end of the pattern). I used hook and loop tape to secure the cover, and for the final touch added the buttons on last for decoration.
Now I have 5 new brightly colored sweeper covers!
Oh, and I also put the finishing touches on a super-cute apron gift for my girlfriend who just moved into a new home. This is Butterick 6567, one of my favorite patterns because they are all reproductions of vintage styles. This apron looks like a pretty little reversible scalloped skirt.
My freind absolutely loved it!
I have my next project picked out, it is something to wear, and I am wildly enthusiastic about it! Which says a lot, because the last two things I sewed to wear looked, well, simply awful. And that was about a year ago. Now I just have to find time during my busy week to start on my new project...I can't wait!