I found just enought time last night to finish this little project for myself!
I thrifted this vintage cake carrier a few weeks ago, and I actually hid it away from my husband because it looked like a total piece of junk. Other than needing a good cleaning, the only real problem was that the latches didn't quite hold the lid on anymore, but I had a simple solution in mind for that!
I made a wide strap that wraps around the whole carrier, through the handle, and secures with hook and loop tape. These were all scraps, most are from fabrics I bought at this year's Spring Quilt Festival, and the white with little red dots is a thrifted piece of vintage fabric.
Although the buttons were purely decoration, they actually help to hold the strap in place by not allowing it to slip under the handle. Plus it adds a place to grab and open the velcro!
The tray was pretty scratched up, so I made this waterproof liner by cutting a piece of fabric and sandwiching it in between two layers of iron on vinyl. I have never tried sealing fabric between two pieces before, and it worked really well! How it holds up over time will be the real test - but right now it looks totally awesome!
I probably spent 2 hours total on this last night, and this was just what I needed - a quick project that turned out awesome! And, I get to use it this weekend to bring sweets to a sewing party, yay!