Sneaking a Little Dye Time

Low Immersion Dyeing
 
I found a quick few minutes today to do a little fabric dyeing! This is the low-immersion dye method, and I am using small peanut butter jars which fit about 1/2 yard of 45" fabric or less. Scrunching the fabric down into a small container only allows the dye to deposit on a few areas. The areas of fabric that are scrunched down hard together will resist getting dyed, and will make some pretty cool looking patterns. I will let these sit until tomorrow when I will rinse them out and see what surprises I get!
 
Dyeing is like cooking, there are a few essentials you have to follow in order to get the right results, but each dyer ends up finding a "recipe" and method that works best for them. I am using Procion MX dyes here, and always mix colors together instead of using them right out of the jar. That means that each of these colors is a mix of at least three others.
 
Although my recipe and method are a bit different, you can read up about two methods for low-immersion dyeing here from Harmony Hand Dyes and Paula Burch, and give it a try for yourself!

Comments

Erika's Top Trending Posts: