Vintage Signature Toy Sewing Machine


I thrifted this little guy last weekend! I almost left the store without it, but thankfully my BQF (best quilting friend) Tricia talked me into picking it up.


Great color combination, a salmon pink bottom, and a light green/medium green machine.


And the machine came with the original manual and accessories pouch which has two needles, a needle threader, and measuring tape.


I threaded it up and discovered that it didn't quite sew right. It's a chainstitch machine, and the hook/paddle underneath the machine was out of time with the needle. I managed to fix it and get it going.


The chainstitch looks like a straight stitch on the top, but when you look at the back it almost looks like a single row of crochet.


Compared to the Sew-Rite toy sewing machine I found last year, this little guy is really rough. It's very loud, very touchy, and came out of time very easily. I planned to shoot a little video of the machine running, but I couldn't keep it in time long enough!


So, no go for sewing with this wee machine. But, this little guy will look fantastic on display in my sewing space!

Comments

What a cutie! I have a Singer toy that I can't get to stitch at all. It's cute, even if it doesn't stitch. Enjoy your new toy!
Erika Mulvenna said…
Thanks Cheryl! I've always wanted a cutie little toy machine to display in my sewing space, and this is just perfect.
Colleen said…
Hi! I have recently acquired this same machine, but missing a few pieces (notably, the tension wheel, although the knob is still there). I was wondering if you would mind posting or emailing me pics of the inside of the manual so I can see what sort of needles I would need to find, as well as identifying any other missing parts? I am hoping for my 8 year old to be able to eventually use it, but if it ends up as a display piece I will not be too disappointed, it is very cute!
Erika Mulvenna said…
Hi Colleen, that's great! I hope yours works much better than the one I found. Unfortunately, there is no information given with this machine about needle size. I think your best bet might be to measure the existing needle carefully and search for a replacement online. I think a lot more thought went into how this toy looks than how it actually works! Best - Erika
Unknown said…
It's adorable! How does it compare to a normal sewing machine? It looks much sturdier and the stitch looks much nicer than those modern portable plastic machines I've seen around.
Erika Mulvenna said…
Hi Mr. Bumblepants, thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, it is an adorable machine. It does NOT sew well at all, and the chainstitch made by this machine is not nearly as strong as the lockstitch made by modern machines. :(

Erika's Top Trending Posts: