Monday, November 29, 2010

A Slight Distraction (T-shirts, recycling and scarves - oh my!)

Did you see this super-awesome T-Shirt Memory Scarf project posted at the Craftzine.com blog? I saw it a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking obsessing about making one ever since! And yes, I really should be spending my time finishing up those last class samples. Or working. Or doing the laundry. But seriously, I just needed to make this project!


I followed the directions, and Rachel wasn't kidding when she wrote that this is a big and unruly scarf, it's three yards long!


Which is the perfect length to wrap around yourself a couple of times and still have plenty of scarf left over to tie up.



I am in love with this scarf, it is so cozy, soft, and cuddly! I have worn it non-stop for the past two days, even to the chagrin of my husband who thinks I'm nuts for wearing a scarf in the house. Love! It! The only thing I did outside of Rachel's directions was to stitch a zig-zag border around each square to help hold it together - and I really like how it looks.

Best part of this project is being able to see these tees instead of having them take up space on my shelves. A few of my very favorite tees in the scarf include this guy. I can't even remember where I got this tee, but who doesn't love a slice of happy toast?


And this commemorative tee celebrating the last coming of the 17 year cicadas:


And yes, the smoking nun.


Did I mention that I love this project?

;-P

7 comments:

Andrea said...

I remember some of those tees! :)

Mary Keenan said...

I love those tees!! You know, if you have any more like that in your stash you could totally stitch them onto a new tee, or even a dress ;^)

Karen said...

....adorable! Nice work!

*Staci* said...

This is awesome I need to find that post. I have been saving my tees for something and this is the perfect project. :)

Donna said...

This is great. Maybe now I can stop making envelope purses and move on to a new obsession! Thanks for the link to the original post as well as the pix of your scarf. Nice!

Cara said...

This turned out great!

Whimsy said...

That is ADORABLE. So very cute. And now I'm going to have to add something like it to my list of to do's.... I think I'd like to ask Santa for more time before Christmas. Can he do that?