Coming Like A Ghost Town

My sewing room has been empty for weeks, it's looking like a ghost town down here!


I was working on a project I've been super excited about all year, the one I blogged about back in September. So yeah, I finished the top like 6 weeks ago, came up with the plan for the back and got started on it, then completely lost my motivation. I thought I'd be finished with this project by now, and even hoped to submit it to the 2015 QuiltCon show. But it's been weeks and weeks since I've been down here working.


I guess when I schedule my days on paper, it looks like I should have time each day - or at least a few times a week - to sew. But it hasn't been that easy to fit all that I have to do into each day. And to be honest with you, friends, after Fidget goes to bed at night, I've just been too damned tired to come down here and sew.

It also doesn't help that this seemingly brightly lit space (these photos were shot at about 1:30 in the afternoon when the sun shines right into the room) is like a dark dreary dungeon after the sun goes down - and it can feel pretty darned lonely being down here all by my lonesome after dark.


In addition to my other project, there's a group charity quilt on my chair waiting for me to add some quilting before we finish it up, hopefully with the goal of also submitting to the 2015 QuiltCon show.

Friends, help me out! Have you ever been stuck finishing up a project or felt like you needed a little push to get working? What do you do to get motivated to sew or finish a project? I need some help kicking my butt into gear!

Comments

Crafty Coffin said…
Sometimes when I get sick of something, I'll switch to another craft - so I'll knit or do EPP or something other than quilting. Could you bring a machine upstairs so you're not feeling lonely? Maybe have some sewing friends over and do a little stitch-in in your basement? And give yourself permission to slack - it's a hobby, it should feel like fun, not an obligation! I don't know how old Fidget is but I have an almost 2 year old and I swear there are some nights I'm ready to go to bed as soon as he does, and I generally assume at that point I'm pushing too hard and need to take a break.
Donna said…
I try to keep several projects in different stages going at the same time so that I can work on what I feel most like doing. Bouncing back and forth seems to suit my working style. Seasonal rhythms, emotional rhythms, scheduling issues, family demands, health issues, personal relationships - it's amazing we get anything done!
Robbi Eklow said…
I know the feeling all too well. I have my longarm in the basement, that's really dreary. I listen to audible books while I longarm, that seems to help. (Don't listen to a Stephen King novel, that is NOT helpful. Sometimes that scares me so much I can't go down to the basement at all.

Upstairs, in my studio that is really just one of the bigger bedrooms, I have a tv, and I go in there and just sit on my sewing chair and watch some show that seems magical or at least entertaining.

Erika's Top Trending Posts: