Apron Lore and More!

When I read last week that the Des Plaines Historical Society was hosting an apron program, you better believe I marked it on my calendar and was counting down the days! The timing couldn't have been better, I was down with a terrible cold earlier this week and this was the first day I actually felt like getting off the couch - so I was glad to have something to look forward to!

The Apron History talk was presented by Bev Ottaviano and Robyn Ratajczak of the Arlington Heights Museum. Bev and Robin brought over 100 examples of aprons to share with the audience! Oh yes, it was apron heaven!


Aprons everywhere - in baskets, on tables, hanging all around the room.


Aprons even adorned the chairs! I love it! Here's a great snapshot of Robyn on the left and Bev on the right, wearing aprons of course!


Both Bev and Robyn not only shared some of thier own apron memories and stories, but also read us some wonderful apron poetry! And then it was our turn - the audience shared in their own apron stories. Several folks brought beautiful family aprons to show, and one apron lover had a lovely sentimental photo of her mum wearing an apron from the 1950's. If you're in the Chicago area, I do believe that these apron teachers continue to offer the Apron History lecture throughout the area, so keep your eyes peeled!

Oddly enough, with all those wonderful aprons all around, this is the one that I keep thinking about. I've never seen one like it before, it's an apron made from a stack of printed paper napkins stitched to a ribbon; when the top layer gets dirty you just rip it off and throw it away, revealing a clean layer!


The square paper napkins rotate every other layer so that the points form a star pattern, stitched to a wide ribbon at the top. You bet I'm gonna try and make one!

And speaking of apron history, here's a great link I just found to some wonderful vintage and antique patterns from the Unsung Sewing Patterns blog. Very cool apron inspiration indeed: http://www.unsungsewingpatterns.net/search/label/apron

Finally, here's a little apron sharing of my own! A little peek at a few new "old" aprons I just picked up to add to my collection! Can you tell we're having a bit of a gusty day here?

Comments

Erika's Top Trending Posts: