Quilting in the 21st Century

I recently attended a meeting of The Chicago Modern Quilt Guild where artists/quilters/designers/authors Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr of FunQuilts.com spoke about their upcoming book, Quilts Made Modern.

Whoa, what a great lecture! Weeks and Bill shared a great presentation about quilting styles of through the ages, and gave us insight into how they design and construct thier modern quilts.

We also got a sneak peek at all the new quilts featured in Quilts Made Modern as well as a sneak peek into the book. What struck me about these modern quilts and the book was how accessible the designs are. Not only do I love the geometric designs and how they seem both simple and complex at once, but as a beginner quilter these projects all seem like something I could tackle. I should add, something that I would actually want to tackle!

If you want to see some of these quilts, you can get a tasty preview of all of the quilts in the upcoming Quilts Made Modern at Weeks Ringle's blog, Craft Nectar.

You can also find some very cool tutorials over at Week's blog, like this very modern quilt or this informative post on cleaning your sewing machine.

To keep up with Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, check the FunQuilts.com site to learn about upcoming lectures, classes, shows, and to find out more about the soon to be released Quilts Made Modern.

Oh, and let me know if you're already a fan of FunQuilts - maybe you already have a copy of The Modern Quilt Workshop or Quiltmaker's Color Workshop and have already stitched up some modern quilts of your own! I feel lucky to have just stumbled upon Weeks and Bill, and am actually contemplating starting a quilt!

Comments

Karen said…
You MUST start a quilt! Thanks for coming to our new guild...we were so happy to host so many guests. I hope you can join us again.
Donna said…
I too was at the lecture/show. And I just loved it. I agree with Karen - you must start a quilt. Weeks and Bill's attitude towards quilting was so affirming and sensible. I did buy a copy of the Workshop book and am eager to try their binding method. Looking forward to seeing you at future meetings, like Nov 14th?!
I love modern quilts and want to learn more about them. Thanks for the links and the pictures!

Erika's Top Trending Posts: