Discombobulated

Construction starts today on our little house, new windows and new siding! I spent the last two days clearing out around the windows and moving everything off of the exterior walls.


Of course this means that my sewing room/office is completely discombobulated! I actually took the rest of the week off of work because this room won't be back in order anytime soon. And, in case I haven't mentioned it before, I work from home. From this very room!


I still have a little more work to do, my hubs wants me to remove all the books and patterns and crap from these shelves on the outside wall because he thinks things might shake off while they are demolitioning the old siding. That will have to wait until the new windows are in so I can stack all of the shelved crap on the floor!

Funny thing about the siding, they found the original siding (from 1956) underneath the old ugly dented and scarred aluminum siding (probably C. 1970). Who the hell layers siding? Yikes.

Anyway, the exciting thing about this little project is having the opportunity to make some small decorating and reorganizing changes inside the house as well. I've already sorted through most of the sewing room stuff and found many things that I know I won't use to pass along. And I've also decided to replace some of the cheap pressboard furniture, so I'll start thrifting right away for a new desk or sewing machine cabinet and a smaller chest of drawers.

I also have spied some online chatter of using the New Year as a time to take stock and prioritize, reorganize, and maximize your living space. Kind of an out-with-the-old and in-with-the-new thing. How about you - are you planning any changes in your home or sewing space for the New Year?

Comments

Mike Ring said…
New kitchen and porch light fixtures! Get your butt over here to check them out!
C said…
We're hoping to move to New York City this year! That will be in a big change in our living space...
Tonia said…
You've inspired me! I have wanted to install a simple window garden in my kitchen for a long time-- the south-facing windows should be perfect for growing a few herbs for cooking (er- for Michael to cook with, that is). Good luck with the disruptions. I'm sure you will be thrilled with the end result.
Erika Mulvenna said…
Mike - just tell us when to be there!
Cara - that sounds wonderful!
Tonia - Yay! Sounds great, and there's nothing like cooking with fresh herbs. Or having someone cook FOR you with fresh herbs!
Donna said…
I like to start a new year of blog entries with projects that I dream about and want to do. I like to clean the studio and reorganize and be ready to start anew. BUT...this year is different. I can't stop sewing! My little envelope purses are now morphing into iPad carriers. Also a couple of ufo's have been calling out. So January will be, this year, a continue-to-sew month. Which is fine with me.

Best wishes with your construction and the frustrations which will accompany it! Keep your eye on the prize!

Erika's Top Trending Posts: