Even More Vintage Fabrics!

I think it's safe to say that sewing with vintage fabrics is kind of a "thing" for me. I find myself looking for vintage fabrics wherever I go, and I recently brought home even more vintage fabrics while on vacation!


We drove down south a few weeks ago through Missouri, and I stopped at an antique shop in Branson. This particular shop loved to package fabric in large plastic bags stapled closed at the top (with like 25 staples per bag). In order to see what's in the bag, I had to smoosh the fabric all around just to get a little peek and guess what was inside!

Inside one bag was a totally fabulous apron.


I am head over heels over this fabric! Not only do I love the orange/yellow/green/black/white color combination, but the mid-century city print is fabulous!


Oh, how I wish I had yards and yards of this fabric! For now the apron is brightening up my dull little ironing corner.


Another bag contained a bunch of super scrappy grandmothers fan blocks, I started going through them all Sunday night. I love the different fabrics in these blocks! Unfortunately, they were sewn together in such a wonky way that I had to really cut them down to get them all to a uniform block size - and I should have taken some before pictures, oops!


Many were sewn together in what looked like they should have been 5 1/2" squares, except that the maker shorted the fabric pieces on almost all of the blocks, some seemed to be missing a fan blade on one side or the other, and some were short on the background fabrics. No matter - they all cut down to a nice 4 1/2" size and I ended up with about 92 blocks. After cutting down the blocks I started to lay them out, got totally excited about them and started sewing them together. Woo-hoo!

Well, yeah, there are other things I should be working on...but haven't you run across a project that you just HAD to stitch up immediately? Yes? Am I crazy?


After yesterday I'm about 1/3 of the way finished, and I LOVE this quilt! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, and Fidget already tried to stake a claim on this one! I think it reminds me of those crazy afghan blankets that have the granny squares made of all different colors of yarn and is bordered by black. I thought since these squares were all so vibrant, different, and folksy, bordering them all in a black grid would add some order and give them each a little space so you can really "see" what's going on.

Going back to sew some more on this quilt right now, and I'll share more photos when the top is finished. Oh, and I still have three more plastic bags of vintage fabric to go through, one looks like some leaf quilt blocks, one seems to be a handful of churn dash blocks, and the last is a jumble of vintage scraps. But for right now it's back to finish the vintage folksy fan quilt!

Comments

Pamela said…
Love the apron, too. I'm always on the lookout for vintage fabrics in antique shops and flea markets. The fan quilt looks great with the black. I get the afghan analogy. My grandma made several of those.

Erika's Top Trending Posts: