Make a Patchwork Suncatcher

I've been playing around with making patchwork suncatchers with solid-colored fabric scraps, thread, and my sewing machine. It's a fun way to bring a pop of color to my mid-winter windows. You can find the free tutorial to make a patchwork suncatcher (just like this simple log cabin block in my window above) at BERNINA's WeAllSew blog here!

Once you get the hang of the basic technique you can use this method to create improvisationally pieced patchwork blocks. But first, get familiar with the method in the tutorial linked above.

Gather together your tools: an iron and pressing surface, a small cutting mat/ruler/rotary cutter, seam roller, and scraps of fabric.


When I work improvisationally, I don't have an exact idea of what the finished project will look like, but I do know what basic colors I want to use. I have all my scraps on hand, pressed, and ready to go.


I select the first two scraps to sew together, stack them on the edges I want to sew and make a nice straight cut with a small ruler and rotary cutter to sew the first seam.


I sew the seam with a 1/2" seam allowance.


Just as in the tutorial linked above, I trim the seam allowance on the bottom seam only.


Press the longer seam allowance over the trimmed edge.


Fold the entire seam over, pressing well, and securing the folded seam edge down with a straight stitch close to the folded edge.


Add another piece and follow these steps all over again. Keep repeating until your patchwork is complete.


This method creates finished seams on both sides of the fabric.


When hung in a window, the patchwork looks like a leaded glass suncatcher!

As mentioned in the tutorial, UV rays from the sun will eventually fade and damage colors in cotton fabrics 🌞 so if you create a bit of patchwork that you really love ❤ don't leave it in the window for long!

Comments

amsans said…
Thank you so much for sharing the sun catcher tutorial. I love the idea of having the bits of color shine through and what a great way to use bits of leftover fabric. You make it look so easy, I’m gathering my fabric now��

Erika's Top Trending Posts: