The Finished Vintage Fabric Quilt!



VintageQuilt 6

I finally finished the vintage fabric quilt! It's a little wonky, I know, but this is my first try at piecing a quilt -  I'm happy with the results. I learned so much from putting this quilt together, it was a very "Oh, NOW I get it!" kind of project.

VintageQuilt 2

Here is the back, I used up the scraps and added this little bit to one end of the quilt.

VintageQuilt 3

And you can look here for a picture from the Sunday Chicago Modern Quilt Guild show and tell, thanks Rachel for the great photo!

The binding seemed very intimidating but I've read a lot online from quilters who dislike this part of quilting. I used a few online tutes for helping me to figure it out, not to mention keeping my eyes peeled at the last several meetings of the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild for some binding tips. I learned a lot from Julie's Perfect Binding Tutorial at Jaybird Quilts, and I also found it easy to understand and follow Heather Bailey's Continuous Quilt-Binding Directions.

I am planning another quilt made from these awesome vintage strips for myself (yes, I have many more left over)  and hope to also make my husband a quilt for the holidays this year. But first I think I need to go back and finish this project. I just dug it out of a moving box and am trying to pick back up from where I left off before our move. Hoping to make some progress in the next week and I will post an update soon.

Comments

Morgan said…
You did a wonderful job, and I love love love the picture from the quilt show! What a great story, so happy this fabric had a second chance and that it found such a great home with you :) I also love that it is a little bit "wonky", gives it lots of character. Wonderful quilt!
SEWButterfly said…
Great job! Love the colours!
Donna said…
Erika, every project I do is a "oh, NOW I get it" project! This quilt is absolutely perfect. And I agree with Morgan about the little bit wonky party. I'm still stunned that this is your first pieced piece. It's so great. Can't wait to see more from you!

Erika's Top Trending Posts: